Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E C & E is offline

Default killing a tree

"nefletch" wrote in message
ications...
Lets just say I have a tree growing where I do not want it to grow. And
it is such a location that I cannot get to it
to dig it up. I have cut the tree down to shoulder height, and it can
stay there as long as it don't grow anymore. It is approximately 5
inches across right now. What can I do to kill it? should I drill
holes in the top and pour shrub/tree killer in the holes? How often?
Do they make some sort of object to drive into the stump that I
can pour a lot of chemical in, so it feeds it and kills it on
a continual basis? Any "intelligent" responses will be
appreciated. thank you

I had a state forester come out to our cabin and he showed us how select
trees for removal and those as 'crop trees' - keepers. He came across an
invasive called a Tree of Heaven and told us that it had to go if we were
smart. It must have been 50' tall. He said that girdling was not the issue
nor was cutting. The tree would reflexively send up shoots from every root
and force seed pod production. He stated that we needed to use a hatchet
and make NON-intersecting, horizontal slashes. Pour in a brush killer at
full strength, re-applying weekly (sounds a lot like Colbyt's response!).
Ours was a bit of a drive and we couldn't make multiple apps but the tree
looked pretty sick in the spring but it was leafing out much better by late
spring so we did it again. We will leave the dead snag as habitat for
wildlife.
Oh yea, had an elderly neighbor who drove 5 copper spikes into a massive
sycamore and it didn't even burp.