Frank Shute

Default Any tools still made in the USA?

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:12:11 -0500, Silvan wrote:

Frank Shute wrote:

that more Americans are beginning to think that the war in Iraq was
not a very good idea and it can only be a matter of time before they
start questioning harder the given motives for it.

Some of us questioned the motives from the beginning.

Sure but from what I read the number is growing.

Imposing tarrifs on foreign imports can also only be a stop-gap
measure, so expect a farming crisis in your country in the not too
distant future.

With manufacturing gone and farming gone, one wonders how will will earn the
money needed to buy all these things from overseas.

It won't go entirely, it will just downsize. To buy things from abroad
to meet demand, you're already expanding the national debt ie.
borrowing from foreigners.

Eventually foreigners will suspect that you can't service that
debt/your economy is in trouble and stop buying treasury bonds. I
don't expect the US will end up a basket-case like Argentina though
Expect further devaluation of the dollar and a medium to long term
rise in unemployment.

What worries me is social anarchy in the US. The imbalance between
rich & poor seems set to widen, yet you can't keep a lid on that
forever by just throwing the dispossessed into prison when they try
and restore some balance by wielding their 45s.

If I lived in the US, I'd be looking to sell up & move abroad whilst
the going is fairly good & the dollar is still worth something.

--

Frank