Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default How do you store your raw stock?

William Wixon wrote:

"Randy" wrote in message
I just made a new stock rack. Old rack had angled arms for round
stock, that was a PITA, stock would always roll together and make it a
bitch to get the peice in the middle or back out. New rack has all
level arms, with a hole drilled for a stop on the end. I hope this
works out much better.

Every time I'd get a stock delivery I was always asking the truck
drivers if they had seen a good way to store stock. Every one said
stock racks are always a mess, some even worse than mine (which I find
hard to believe).

www.enter.net/~rbraun/stockrack1.jpg
www.enter.net/~rbraun/stockrack2.jpg

4" channel base, 4" beams for uprights.

I think I'll just store aluminum on the old rack and put only steel on
this one.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

holy crap i just remembered a story. my local steel supplier, newburgh (NY)
steel, one day i went there and their horizontal storage racks were all
lying down crumpled into a massive pile of twisted steel. most of the
material was ruined. they said a delivery truck had caught a corner of the
rack and pulled the entire multi-TONS of materials down. it was jaw
dropping to see. wish i had thought to take pictures.

b.w.

As long as nobody got squished. Steel can be replaced and recycled
easily enough.