Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Freehand grinding of Lathe bits

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in
:

On 2009-08-10, Mike Henry wrote:

. ..

"Ignoramus27305" wrote in
message ...
On 2009-08-09, Rich Grise wrote:
I'd think it depends on your definition of "freehand". I've ground
cutters, but there was always that platform where I could rest the
tool; from that point, it was "freehand", as long as that platform
was on the correct angle.

By freehand, I mean no platform whatsoever.

Not a great idea with carbide and diamond. The relief angles for
carbide are shallower than those for HSS, and are easily rounded if
you don't have a very steady hand. I do recommend a table for
carbide, and I also recommend you NEVER grind dry. Drip isn't very
good, either, for you risk fracturing the carbide by thermal shock.
And----do not grind steel with your diamond wheel. I can't stress
that enough.

Glendo runs their diamond wheel slow, 300 rpm I think, and I've used
it on HSS for a touchup with no ill effects. Do you think that the
slow speed is OK?

What is the diameter of the wheel? RPM alone does not suffice.
You need the SFPM (Surface Feet Per Minute) to judge speeds.

They have 5" & 6" wheels, depending on the model, and they have the
diamond on the flat face. They will be definitely be running a good bit
slower than an 8" regular grinding wheel, especially because you don't
spend all your time out at the edge. They are also designed to run wet.

Doug White