Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson Andrew Mawson is offline

Default What kind of fixing is this?

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message om...
Found a box of these in the store at the Uni I work at, left behind

by
contractors after completion of some new buildings.

Never seen the like before, any ideas what they are for?

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...tything001.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...tything002.jpg

Sorry about crap photo's.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Self drilling screws commonly used for ducting and roofing. The fellow
who put up my latest lean too to the barn was cheerfully popping them
through big six cement roofing sheets and through 1/4' steel 3x3
angles used as purlins - highly effective and quick.

nb a tip I picked up from him - if one blunts, use a fresh one to
create and tap the hole, unscrew it then pop the blunt one in it's
place.

Also, they are so hardened that if you tap the underneith protruding
bit you can snap them off ( as I did when mounting fluorescents on the
same purlins)

AWEM