Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Circuit went out - how much to fix?

Mike rock wrote:
On Aug 10, 2:57 am, Higgs Boson wrote:
I posted this already (I thought) but can't find. Here goes again.

One electrical circuit has gone out, comprising four outlets.
Typical So. Calif stucco house.

I checked the breaker covering that circuit but it didn't help.

Meantime I am working around by using other outlets (no, I am
not overloading), but would like to fix that circuit if I can
afford it (little low in the wallet right now).

Anybody have a clue what this might run (Los Angeles
prices).

Also, curious why a circuit would just go out like that.
No rain (wish we had some!); no apparent cause.
Anybody?

TIA

Have you checked any GFI's to see if it tripped? It could have killed
your outlets downstream.

Checking GFIs is a good idea. I am
presently living in a motor home until
my house is finished (it actually is,
but we're moving things in slowly). The
other day a storm went through. We were
laying across the bed in the RV
and about a half hour later we came into
the main room and noticed the
computer and TV circuit were both dead.
Check breakers, all ok. Started
opening outlets and then I noticed the
kitchen GFI. It wasn't tripped. So I
went on tracing. Then I got this idea,
there is a GFI in the bathroom. It was
tripped. Resetting it restored power to
the entertainment system and the
computer. Why would they put the
entertainment system in the front of the
RV on the GFI in the bathroom .... just
plain crazy, but that's the way it
is. There are other outlets in the same
area that are not on any GFI, only on
the breaker. I'll rewire it someday.
If I would have checked the GFIs 1st,
I would have saved a whole bunch of time
tearing into tightly packed RV outlets.