Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Phone cable repair

SteveB wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 22:52:39 -0600, SteveB wrote:
My excellent track hoe operator cut my phone cable. He called a buddy
who works for the phone company, and he says the phone company charges
$300 to come fix it. It is a copper shielded 4 line wire. It has some
goo on the inside. It is a buried line not in a conduit.
Does the price seem high? I know I could splice the wires, but a ten
foot section was just destroyed, and I don't have any of that
specialized wire. And then there's the issue of weather and water.
What would you do?
pay it

$300 sounds ten times too low for the job.

Yep, no-brainer; OP action was proximate cause of the problem; least can
do is step up to the plate to see it is fixed properly. Why anybody even
asks what's the right thing to do is beyond me.

Dumb ****. The thing has already been fixed by the phone company.

Why use that kind of language and make that declaration when *YOU*
specifically omitted that information? Not everyone has a crystal ball.

In most of the English speaking world "what would you do?" means a
decision is not yet reached. Describing your action followed by "What
would you have done?" would be what most people would use to communicate
what you were apparently trying to communicate but didn't.

I was
just asking about the cost of the repair and if that sounded reasonable.
BTW, it was done to phone company standards, using phone company patch kits,
and by a phone company employee who lives in my own little town, and with
whom I'm friends. He says they charge $900 to fix a 14 line cable, and it's
only splicing wires, then putting a big blob of sealer on the ends. The
standard two or four line is $300.

Sanctimonious dickhead. Yeah, you're an expert on the "right thing" to do,
and have done it in every situation in your life. Guess you don't know ****
about cable repair, but had to add SOME comment. Am I right?

He charged me $100.