Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad[_2_] AZ Nomad[_2_] is offline

Default Phone cable repair

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 09:25:53 -0500, dpb wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 22:52:39 -0600, SteveB wrote:
My excellent track hoe operator cut my phone cable. He called a buddy who
works for the phone company, and he says the phone company charges $300 to
come fix it. It is a copper shielded 4 line wire. It has some goo on the
inside. It is a buried line not in a conduit.

Does the price seem high? I know I could splice the wires, but a ten foot
section was just destroyed, and I don't have any of that specialized wire.
And then there's the issue of weather and water.

What would you do?

pay it

$300 sounds ten times too low for the job.

Yep, no-brainer; OP action was proximate cause of the problem; least can
do is step up to the plate to see it is fixed properly. Why anybody
even asks what's the right thing to do is beyond me.

frankly, the track hoe operator should pay it. The person should have
known better. That there may be stuff burried in the ground shouldn't be
news. Be glad it wasn't a power line, sewer main or a gas line.