Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_10_] SteveB[_10_] is offline

Default Phone cable repair

"dpb" wrote in message
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 22:52:39 -0600, SteveB wrote:
My excellent track hoe operator cut my phone cable. He called a buddy
who works for the phone company, and he says the phone company charges
$300 to come fix it. It is a copper shielded 4 line wire. It has some
goo on the inside. It is a buried line not in a conduit.

Does the price seem high? I know I could splice the wires, but a ten
foot section was just destroyed, and I don't have any of that
specialized wire. And then there's the issue of weather and water.

What would you do?

pay it

$300 sounds ten times too low for the job.

Yep, no-brainer; OP action was proximate cause of the problem; least can
do is step up to the plate to see it is fixed properly. Why anybody even
asks what's the right thing to do is beyond me.

Dumb ****. The thing has already been fixed by the phone company. I was
just asking about the cost of the repair and if that sounded reasonable.
BTW, it was done to phone company standards, using phone company patch kits,
and by a phone company employee who lives in my own little town, and with
whom I'm friends. He says they charge $900 to fix a 14 line cable, and it's
only splicing wires, then putting a big blob of sealer on the ends. The
standard two or four line is $300.

Sanctimonious dickhead. Yeah, you're an expert on the "right thing" to do,
and have done it in every situation in your life. Guess you don't know ****
about cable repair, but had to add SOME comment. Am I right?

He charged me $100.