Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Grab bar in our shower stall

Joe wrote:
On Aug 9, 11:21 am, "Walter R." wrote:
We are getting old and need a grab bar in the shower stall. The
walls are covered with 2x2 ceramic tiles, probably over sheetrock
and standard studs (standard construction).

How can I located the studs under the tiles in order to fasten the
bar securely? My little magnet gizmo for finding nails in the
wallboard does not seem to work through the layer of tiles. My
clairvoyance is also not working today. :-)

Once I know where the studs are, I can drill holes through the tiles
with a carbide drill and use lag screws to fasten the grab bar.

Thanks

--
Walterwww.rationality.net
-

Consider going through the studs from the other side if the wall
structure permits it. Drywall is easily removed, replaced, patched,
painted, whatever, to make other side access possible. It is even
feasible to remove a fair sized area of back side drywall and install
blocking for lag screws after having drilled mounting holes first
exactly where you wish on the tile side.

If you do go through from the back side, let me suggest that you use
blocking screwed to the stud(s) and bolts for your grab bar rather than
lags. True, lags are unlikely to pull out but bolts are nice insurance.
You'd have to drill an over sized hole on the back side of the blocking to
recess the nut and washer.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...