Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Phone cable repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
SteveB wrote:

My excellent track hoe operator cut my phone cable. He called a buddy
who works for the phone company, and he says the phone company charges
$300 to come fix it. It is a copper shielded 4 line wire. It has
some goo on the inside. It is a buried line not in a conduit.

Does the price seem high? I know I could splice the wires, but a ten
foot section was just destroyed, and I don't have any of that
specialized wire. And then there's the issue of weather and water.

What would you do?

Did anybody call Miss Digg (or whatever it's called where you are) to
flag all the utility cables and pipes before the job was started?

My *guess* is that if that was not done, or even if it was done but the
equipment operator cut the cable anyway, the phone co. *must* be
notified (it's their cable) so *they* can fix it -- and they will bill
you (or the operator) for whatever their normal charge is.

Perce

Around here, you can be fined for not calling the utility locater
service. If the service marks the line, and you hit the line and
it's not where they said it was, you are not responsible. If you
don't call the service and dig up a line, you are screwed.

TDD