Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pulsing lawn mower

JIMMIE wrote:
On Aug 9, 6:16 pm, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 15:26:14 -0600, "Calab" wrote:

Howdy!
I just received a three year old B&S 3.5 horsepower mower from a friend.
Currently, it starts easy but starts pulsing once it's been running for a
few minutes.
I've been told that the mower ran fine until it was tipped onto it's side to
be cleaned out.
What I've done so far...
- cleaned the sponge air filter
- drained the gas and filled with new
- sprayed the carb with carb cleaner
- checked oil levels
- ensured that the throttle moves freely
The only thing that I can think of is that it's internal to the carb, or
that the springs on the carb are not in their correct location.
Photo's of the carb and linkage.
http://members.shaw.ca/linkto/temp/carb1.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/linkto/temp/carb2.jpg
Any ideas on how to fix this?

Loosen the gas cap a tad and see it runs better. If so the cap vent is
clogged. Use a paper clip to clear the cap vent hole.

A fouled spark plug might be the culprit.- Hide quoted text -

Im just a tinkerer when it comes to small engines but Ive kept mine
going over the years. Whenever I have seen this I just go over them
checking everything. First thought usually is that its a governor
problem but I dont think I have ever seen that be the problem. Clogged
fuel path seems to be pretty common and a lot of "I dont knows" it
just starts working after cleaning everything up.
I did find one that wouldnt work with cap on. The cap didnt have a
vent in it so I figured it had to be vented some place else. I had
taken everything apart and cleaned and put it back together figuring
this shouldnt be a problem. Well the problem was it had the wrong cap
on it. I walked down to my brothers house and checked on the back
porch. There was his gas can with the lawnmowers cap on it.

Jimmie

It seems that every time I let someone borrow a gas can,
it is returned sans cap. It's always the same. "Where's
the cap?" "Eye-O-no". I think that's one reason Tasers
were invented.

TDD