Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Pulsing lawn mower

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"Calab" wrote in message
Howdy!

I just received a three year old B&S 3.5 horsepower mower from a friend.
Currently, it starts easy but starts pulsing once it's been running for
a few minutes.

I've been told that the mower ran fine until it was tipped onto it's
side to be cleaned out.

What I've done so far...
- cleaned the sponge air filter
- drained the gas and filled with new
- sprayed the carb with carb cleaner
- checked oil levels
- ensured that the throttle moves freely

The only thing that I can think of is that it's internal to the carb, or
that the springs on the carb are not in their correct location.

Photo's of the carb and linkage.

http://members.shaw.ca/linkto/temp/carb1.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/linkto/temp/carb2.jpg

Any ideas on how to fix this?

The condition is called "hunting", and is caused by a governor that needs
adjustment

Or, it just might need cleaning. On my old Toro, it started hunting.
I found the governor lever caked up with mud, grease and grass.
After a cleaning with a degreaser (spray carb cleaner) to remove
old grease, etc., it ran perfectly.

More often than not, that's just the kind of adjustment they need. Damn
things are very critical, so it doesn't take much to throw them out.