Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default Problem with Sony KV-T25SZ8 TV when turning on

Sylvia Else wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Sylvia Else wrote:

This television displays a strange image and sound distortion just
after it's been turned on, as shown in this 5 second video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usQFxTJ04s4

It may do this several times, and, rather disconcertingly, seems to
be slowly getting worse.

Note - the slight flickering is an artefact of the video recording.

I'm using a computer output to show the fault, but I get the same
behaviour on broadcast channels if the computer is completely
disconnected, and turned off.

I suspect a warming up effect. Any ideas?

Sylvia.

Yup, that's High Voltage arcing around in there.

Ouch!

Might me a good idea to have some one that knows more
about it to take a look.

I've disconnected it from the mains. Later on today (to allow any caps
to discharge) I'll take the back off and see whether there's any obvious
reason for arcing - dead insects, loose connections.

Beyond that, I have the problem of deciding whether it's worth paying to
repair a 10 year old CRT TV

Sylvia.

It's not worth having it fixed in my opinion..

If you can't correct the problem via a clean out, I suggest you start
looking for a LCD unit.