Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Laptop hinge repair

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 22:36:54 +0100, N_Cook wrote:
Any general tips on how to make a structural repair to the broken and
missing Aluminium extension from the friction pintle mount to where it
joins
the plastic of the LCD surround ? Fractured at the screw point so only
half
the screw hole remains , a highly stressed point, going by the amount of
force required to turn this pintle rod.

Assuming your time is worth more than 1/10th minimum wge, it makes
sense simply to replace the hinge with a replacement part. You can
get one for a few bucks from a junked laptop on ebay.

Mate of mine repairs laptops for a living, and oddly enough, we were
discussing this just a couple of weeks ago, when I was in his shop, and he
told me that he buys new replacement hinges from some place that keeps a lot
of laptop spares. Might even have been an eBay shop. I'll check with him if
you like, but it won't be until Tuesday, because he has Mondays off.

Arfa