Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Freehand grinding of Lathe bits

On 2009-08-08, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus13611 wrote:

Has anyone tried freehand grinding of lathe bits (those with inserts
and without). The use would be a diamond wheel that cuts on the side.
I tried it with simple bits and it seems to work well, but maybe I am
missing some finer points of grinding.

Generally diamond wheels at high speed and steel do not go together. The
steel has an
affinity for carbon which is what a diamond wheel is. Still, from
hanging out on the
Quorn groups and such, I see that people use diamond wheels on HSS.

Wes, I may be very seriously confused and misinformed. What I was
thinking about originally was carbide tipped lathe bits (with carbide
tips brazed on). When I grind those, the objective is to grind
carbide, but some steel gets ground, as well.

It's up to you to see that it doesn't. Use an aluminum oxide wheel to
grind away the steel that will get ground. Unless you use the tools for
extremely heavy cuts (unlikely), it's easiest to grind the steel at a
greater relief angle, so even if you touch steel when grinding the carbide,
very little is exposed to the diamond wheel. Do not seriously undercut
the carbide, otherwise you risk tool failure.

Do not grind steel with a diamond wheel that runs at high speed, regardless
of what foolish people tell you. Norton did extensive testing back in the
50's in regards to diamond and steel. They do not go together. If they
did, all grinding manuals would suggest they be ground together with
diamond.

Harold