Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Freehand grinding of Lathe bits

"Wes" wrote in message
Ignoramus13611 wrote:

Has anyone tried freehand grinding of lathe bits (those with inserts
and without). The use would be a diamond wheel that cuts on the side.
I tried it with simple bits and it seems to work well, but maybe I am
missing

snip---

Still, from hanging out on the
Quorn groups and such, I see that people use diamond wheels on HSS.

Only those with little in the way of brains. As you alluded, diamond is
absorbed into steel at grinding temperatures unless the surface speed is
VERY low. The change in grinding ability of a diamond wheel that is so
abused is readily noticeable--assuming you understand the difference.

Harold