Bay Area Dave

Default Wood Question: Which is stronger, a round post or square post?

maybe it's just easier to climb a round pole??

dave

Bob Gramza wrote:

"McQualude" wrote in message ...
: (Fred the Red Shirt) said:
:
: I found this question in another group (misc.rural)...
: Which is stronger, a round post or square post? Assume the
: posts are both made from the same wood and are both equivalent
: in width.
:
: Answering a different question, here but:
:
: If you start with a tree trunk which is typically what you start
: with for a fence post, it will be stronger if you leave it round
: than if you square it up.
:
: No, that is the question. I gave the same answer you gave, but not
: quite as clearly perhaps. I was hoping that someone would be able to
: support it, because I have no proof and I don't think math will
: answer this question.
: --
: McQualude

I would think that utilities would use square telephone poles if they were stronger instead of
leaving them round. They spend a lot of money and resources on the poles they push into the ground.