Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Horton Rob Horton is offline

Default modifying a bathroom extraction fan to have a separate pull cord.

Owain wrote:
On 10 Aug, 14:40, Rob Horton wrote:
I have a bathroom extractor fan that is activated when the bathroom
light is turned on and eventually times out when the light is turned
off.
The best solution to me seems to remove the fan from the light switch
and give it, it's own separate pull cord switch with a neon indicator so
that you can tell if the fan is actually on or in time out.
Any reasons why I can't do this or is it just a bad idea?

You may be required under Building Regs to have a fan linked to the
light especially if the bathroom has no natural ventilation.

The bathroom has a window. Anyway, I want to be able to use the light
without turning the fan on and use the fan without turning the light on.

You should have a 3-pole isolator switch for the fan, typically
mounted near the ceiling outside the bathroom door, for maintenance
and cleaning. That would turn the fan off.

Sadly, there is no isolator switch. This wouldn't solve the problem
since to use the fan, the light would have to be turned on. A pointless
waste of electricity during daylight hours.

Or you could refit it so it doesn't make so much noise. Fans shouldn't
be noisy enough to waken somebody.

It's not that noisy. But my sons room is right next to the bathroom and
surprising things can wake him up.
Owain