Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Horton Rob Horton is offline

Default modifying a bathroom extraction fan to have a separate pull cord.

I have a bathroom extractor fan that is activated when the bathroom
light is turned on and eventually times out when the light is turned
off. This is a rubbish solution in my opinion since:

(1)To get the fan to run when showering, the light needs to be turned on
even when it is daylight.

(2)When I want to turn the light on to use the bathroom but not have a
shower, the fan turns on. This is especially annoying when you have just
got your 2 year old son too sleep who then wakes up because of the noise
of the fan.

(3) There is no way of quickly turning off the fan before a fully
fledged (2) develops.

The best solution to me seems to remove the fan from the light switch
and give it, it's own separate pull cord switch with a neon indicator so
that you can tell if the fan is actually on or in time out.

Any reasons why I can't do this or is it just a bad idea?