Posted to uk.d-i-y
pete pete is offline

Default Cordless drill

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 05:14:08 -0500, wrote:
I'm also looking for a cordless drill which I can use as a screwdriver (or
a cordless screwdriver). Up until now, I've been using a cheapo Woolies
cordless drill as a screwdriver which, although useful, isn't a lot of use
for anything the slightest bit heavy. The battery also doesn't last long.

I need to have another look at the Screwfix catalogue to see what's
available.

I expect to be doing a reasonable amount of work with it as I go around
the house (flatpack assembly, shelves, you name it).

Any recommendations?

I find that I need two. One to keep a drill bit in (for the pilot holes)
and another to keep a screw bit in. Otherwise I spend too much time
whizzing the driver round to release the drillbit, then whizzing it back
again to tighten the driver bit. Apart from the (admittedly small) battery
drain, it takes up time, is an inconvenience and rapidly beomes a PITA.
Of course, any organised person would drill the pilot holes and _then_ do
the screwing - however, this is me I' on about :-)
If you get two the same, it saves hassle with chargers, batteries etc.
- Oh yes, get one (two?) with 2 batteries each - so you can keep one charging
while using the other.