Posted to uk.d-i-y
Toby Toby is offline

Default Irrigation using speedfit or similar, ideas wanted

wrote in message
.. .
I'm thinking of fitting semi-permanent pipework in our greenhouses
(and maybe some other places) with a time switched pump to provide
irrigation. The pump will use rainwater collected from the roof in a
tank which will be topped up by mains water with a simple ball valve
controlling that. (it may need to be slightly clever so that the
mains only gets turned on when the tank is, say, only a quarter full).

An additional reason for using a pump is that our mains water pressure
is very high and tends to destroy things which then gets expensive in
lost water. A system as above will at least limit the rate of loss
considerably.

So, in the greehouses I was thinking of running plastic around the
edges and having some sort of small bore feeds to individual plants,
pots, etc. Can anyone suggest a practical way to connect small bore
feeds to plastic pipe? I know there are systems sold for doing this
but my experience with them has been that they're not very robust or
long lasting.

--
Chris Green

I would think you would be far better off using proper irrigation stuff,
rather than speedfit...
http://www.easy-irrigation.co.uk/mic...g-c-21_55.html

13mm pipe for your main supply round the greenhouse
http://www.easy-irrigation.co.uk/con...347-p-274.html

Then Some of these screwed directly into this supply pipe
http://www.easy-irrigation.co.uk/end...ack-p-280.html

Then from these drip heads, some smaller pipe to each plant
http://www.easy-irrigation.co.uk/sup...348-p-315.html

Or, if you have a bed full of plants, then you run a 13mm pupe down the
middle, and then screw somthing like this directly in
http://www.easy-irrigation.co.uk/gar...320-p-282.html

When I installed a system in my back garden, i used Gardena stuff
everywhere, the only other thing I used for the pipes were 25mm MDPE pipe
under the grass as my main supply, I installed a 12v valve at each lawn
sprinkler, or lower bed, so i can control each area of the lawn and each
bed. It's all fed from 8000L of rainwater storage :-)

Easy irrigation were just the first Google result for the items I wanted to
show you, so hunt around for the best deal, I bought all my bits from a
company called Grovelands, but I cant seem to see them anymore.

Toby...