Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default Keeping the power off

On Aug 10, 12:30 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Matty F wrote:
Any other ideas? It's too late to sack a moron after the electrician
is dead.

A circuit breaker lockout kit. This has a lockout hasp with multiple
holes. Each hole takes a padlock, each electrician has a personal
padlock. Each person working on that circuit adds their padlock to the
hasp. When they finish their job they remove their padlock. When all the
padlocks have gone the hasp is removed and the power is switched back
on. To guard against ****wittery (going home and forgetting to remove a
padlock) the gaffer has a master key which fits all of the padlocks so
if things do get forgotten the gaffer can remove the offending
padlock(s).

This needs some discipline and a procedure to follow in the event of a
forgotten padlock/lost key.

http://www.reecesafety.co.uk/Circuit...20&%20Kits.htm

That's a good idea. in my case there is only one electrician, so I
think he should have his own special lock. If I'm helping him I'd be
inclined to short the live wire to earth and have some kind of
indicator near where we are working to show if the wiring becomes
live. That may not be easy with 600v DC when there's no earth for 6
metres.