Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Overheating Henry Vacuum Cleaner

Vortex3 wrote:
Any Henry vacuum cleaner geeks out there?

Yup!

++++++++++++

Today Henry # 1 stopped working. It was running very hot and under
load and I assume some kind of thermal cut out "cut out". Went back
30 minutes later and it worked fine.

There is a TOL which will reset when it cools down. However its a warning
that if you don't sort the problem the motor will burn out. TOL's on this
sort of machine become more sensitive every time they operate & will soon
fail in the 'off' mode.

When investigating I found that even on "no load" (ie the motor
assembly completely removed from bag and filter) the exhaust air was
still surprisingly warm.

So I made a comparison with our other very much newer Henry (lets
call him Henry # 2). On this one the exhaust is not so noticeably
warm under the same circumstances.

So I investigated further.

Henry # 1 (old) states 850W motor and draws 4.45 Amps at idle.

Henry # 2 (new) states 1000W motor and draws 3.95 Amps at idle.

Methinks there's something wrong with Henry # 1....which seems to be
converting about an Amp of supply current straight into heat!!!!

++++++++++++

Q1. Are these symptoms consistent with a simple-to-fix fault? (ie
change the motor or similar)

The motors in Henrys are direct cooled e.g. the air being sucked up the hose
is then blown over the motor to cool it down. Anything restricting the
airflow, partly blocked hose, filter etc will cause excess heat.

Q2. If so is the motor easy to change (I assume so as spares are
readily available).

Doddle. A kid could do it. Spares are common & plentifull, even patent
parts are available. http://www.wcsuk.com/acatalog/Numatic_Motors.html is
one source, but find exactly what motor you need & Google for prices,
hundreds of places sell Numatic parts.

....or should I just go to Homebase and buy a new one (currently on
offer at £85) and keep the old for parts

If you change the motor you effectively have a new machine, roughly half the
cost.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk