Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Overheating Henry Vacuum Cleaner

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Vortex3" writes:
Any Henry vacuum cleaner geeks out there?

++++++++++++

Today Henry # 1 stopped working. It was running very hot and under
load and I assume some kind of thermal cut out "cut out". Went
back 30 minutes later and it worked fine.

When investigating I found that even on "no load" (ie the motor
assembly completely removed from bag and filter) the exhaust air was
still surprisingly warm.

So I made a comparison with our other very much newer Henry (lets
call him Henry # 2). On this one the exhaust is not so noticeably
warm under the same circumstances.

So I investigated further.

Henry # 1 (old) states 850W motor and draws 4.45 Amps at idle.

Henry # 2 (new) states 1000W motor and draws 3.95 Amps at idle.

Methinks there's something wrong with Henry # 1....which seems to be
converting about an Amp of supply current straight into heat!!!!

++++++++++++

Q1. Are these symptoms consistent with a simple-to-fix fault?
(ie change the motor or similar)

Q2. If so is the motor easy to change (I assume so as spares are
readily available).

....or should I just go to Homebase and buy a new one (currently on
offer at £85) and keep the old for parts

Any opinions appreciated.

I'm not intimately familiar with Henrys (have used a couple which
weren't mine and found them rather useless), but I assume it has a
universal motor (i.e. with commutator and brushes).

Never come across a vacuum cleaner that didn't use a universal motor.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk