Posted to uk.d-i-y
R[_7_] R[_7_] is offline

Default Overheating Henry Vacuum Cleaner

"Vortex3" wrote in message
Any Henry vacuum cleaner geeks out there?

++++++++++++

Today Henry # 1 stopped working. It was running very hot and under load
and I assume some kind of thermal cut out "cut out". Went back 30
minutes later and it worked fine.

When investigating I found that even on "no load" (ie the motor assembly
completely removed from bag and filter) the exhaust air was still
surprisingly warm.

So I made a comparison with our other very much newer Henry (lets call him
Henry # 2). On this one the exhaust is not so noticeably warm under the
same circumstances.

So I investigated further.

Henry # 1 (old) states 850W motor and draws 4.45 Amps at idle.

Henry # 2 (new) states 1000W motor and draws 3.95 Amps at idle.

Methinks there's something wrong with Henry # 1....which seems to be
converting about an Amp of supply current straight into heat!!!!

++++++++++++

Q1. Are these symptoms consistent with a simple-to-fix fault? (ie
change the motor or similar)

Q2. If so is the motor easy to change (I assume so as spares are
readily available).

....or should I just go to Homebase and buy a new one (currently on offer
at £85) and keep the old for parts

The motor assembly in the Henry range (And others from Nu-Matic) uses air
drawn in through the hole in the motor base through curved fins within the
rotor fan section to provide suction and motor cooling.
Dust and dirt adheres to the fins causing slow airflow, reduced suction and
motor overload. Hence your need to cool it down and the thermal trip to
reset
*Usually* the fan housing is NOT able to be disassembled easily.
You can soak the bottom section containing the "fan" in warm soapy water,
agitating by gently shaking the unit by hand in the water/soap mix until the
debris and silt is cleared. DO NOT ALLOW WATER INGRESS HIGHER THAN THE TOP
OF THE FAN BASE. Flush with clean water only after cleaning prior to
allowing to dry., DO NOT use compressed air to dry as this can distort the
fins and lead to imbalance.
IT IS ESSENTIAL that the unit is dry before re-use. DO NOT UNDER ANY
CIRCUMSTANCES use the assembly until properly dry or the same result will
happen, blocked fins.

Motors are available through Nu Matic http://www.numatic.co.uk/ or some good
hire shops.

(Ex Hire trade engineer looking after 150 of these extremely good, hard
working units and their larger "brothers")