Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Grab bar in our shower stall

Walter, if your tile does not go all the way to the ceiling use a
nail or small drill bit to find the studs right along the top of
the tile. The holes can be filled and hidden with a bead of caulk
once you find them. Once you know where they are you can plumb
down, though not all studs are perfectly plumb. I would make an
undersized hole in the tile to verify the stud, the escutcheon on
the grab bar will cover a small change. One or two very good
screws are more valuable than worrying about using all the holes.
Fill the back of the escutcheon plate with good caulk ( I would
not use silicone) to prevent water from entering the wall at that
point.

When I have done this for people, I find it works best to use a
bar that crosses 2 studs at an angle rather than just a
horizontal or vertical bar. It seems to offer more choices and
work for different height people.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Walter R." wrote in message
We are getting old and need a grab bar in the shower stall. The
walls are covered with 2x2 ceramic tiles, probably over
sheetrock and standard studs (standard construction).

How can I located the studs under the tiles in order to fasten
the bar securely? My little magnet gizmo for finding nails in
the wallboard does not seem to work through the layer of tiles.
My clairvoyance is also not working today. :-)

Once I know where the studs are, I can drill holes through the
tiles with a carbide drill and use lag screws to fasten the grab
bar.

Thanks

--
Walter