Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

Default Grab bar in our shower stall

On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 09:21:25 -0700, Walter R. wrote:

We are getting old and need a grab bar in the shower stall. The walls
are covered with 2x2 ceramic tiles, probably over sheetrock and standard
studs (standard construction).

How can I located the studs under the tiles in order to fasten the bar
securely? My little magnet gizmo for finding nails in the wallboard does
not seem to work through the layer of tiles. My clairvoyance is also not
working today. :-)

Once I know where the studs are, I can drill holes through the tiles
with a carbide drill and use lag screws to fasten the grab bar.

Thanks

I had to try this for myself because I may be interested in the same
project, I have an electronic stud finder that just beeps the whole time
while I searched for studs in the shower. The only way I could find the
studs was to go to the adjacent room and locate the studs on the back side
of the shower. If it is located on an outside wall maybe someone else has
a suggestion. Mine doesn't work through brick on the outside either. I got
this a few years ago and it was low cost at Home Depot. Some possibly are
better but this served my purpose at the time.
http://www.zircon.com/products/edge_ss.html