Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus27305 Ignoramus27305 is offline

Default Freehand grinding of Lathe bits

On 2009-08-09, Rich Grise wrote:
I'd think it depends on your definition of "freehand". I've ground
cutters, but there was always that platform where I could rest the
tool; from that point, it was "freehand", as long as that platform
was on the correct angle.

By freehand, I mean no platform whatsoever.

There's a diamond wheel in the shop, and the machinists routinely
grind carbide bits "freehand", but it's still got that platform-
sorry, I don't know the proper technical terminology.

For that matter, how would you do it _not_ "freehand"?

Some grinder have adjustable platforms that adjust exactly to the
right supporting position.