Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Freehand grinding of Lathe bits

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in
:

On 2009-08-08, Ignoramus13611
wrote:
Has anyone tried freehand grinding of lathe bits (those with inserts
and without). The use would be a diamond wheel that cuts on the side.

Well ... you don't really want to use a diamond wheel on HSS,
just on carbide.

Depends on the speed. The whole idea behind Glendo Accu-Finsh grinders is
that you can use diamond for everything if you run it slow enough:

http://www.accu-finish.com/seriesone.html

I use mine for HSS just fine. I will typically rough HSS on a regular
bench grinder by hand, and then clean them up on the Accu-Finish. I use it
all the time on brazed carbide lathe bits.

Doug White