Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kevin(Bluey) Kevin(Bluey) is offline

Default Freehand grinding of Lathe bits

Ignoramus13611 wrote:
Has anyone tried freehand grinding of lathe bits (those with inserts
and without). The use would be a diamond wheel that cuts on the side.
I tried it with simple bits and it seems to work well, but maybe I am
missing some finer points of grinding.

I've always ground my lathe tools by hand ,neverhad any fancy jigs or such .
As far as brazed on carbide tips go ,use a silicon carbide wheel (Green)
to sharpen ,it doesnt matter if some steel get ground with this wheel.
Ive never bothered to grind inserts ,I suppose you can use old tips to
make brazed tipped cutting tools

--
Kevin (Bluey)