Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default new fridge really *is* more energy efficient.

On Aug 8, 1:13*pm, stan wrote:
On Aug 7, 8:33*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

just an update... bought a shiny new GE fridge a couple months back.
have had it plugged into a kill-a-watt just to see if it really lived up
to the energy-saving hype. *It's been running for about 400 hours since
the last power outage, and average rate of energy consumption works out
to about 636 kWh/year. *energyguide says 458, but I've had the "energy
saver" turned off because I was getting condensation on the door seals
(it's pretty darn humid here, even with the AC and a dehumidifier in the
basement.)

Old smaller fridge was over 1000 kWh/year according to the KAW so good
deal. *Now at that rate for the fridge to pay for itself it'll take....
lessee...

hmm, this is kinda like cars, isn't it?

But it's quiet, keeps my beer cold, and makes the girlie happy, none of
which the old fridge was doing towards the end...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Saving say 1100 - 636 = 464 less k.watts per year.
At say 10 cents per kwhr. = $46.40 per year.
That's something of the order of an eight to ten year simple payback.
Of course as the OP said, the 'old' fridge wasn't doing the job and
had to be replaced anyway.

If only! since we were shopping for a new fridge, and we own this
house, SWMBO wanted what she wanted, which was a bottom freezer,
french door model. To add insult to injury, we had to get a "counter
depth" model (why do they make you pay more for a smaller fridge?) and
still had to remove a cabinet anyway, so by the time the fridge has
paid for its purchase price, the paint, plaster, copper tubing etc.
and my labor, it'll be long gone.

But it does look nice. And it's quiet. Love the quiet. plus having
built in water dispenser and ice maker means saving even more space
because the Brita pitcher doesn't have to live in the fridge, and I
don't keep my water bottles (for riding bike) frozen in the freezer
anymore.

Sometimes you just gotta pay more to get what you want; like the
fridge, or the rug in the living room (I'm proud of that one though,
only paid $900 on Craigslist for a rug that I'm sure would appraise
over $5K. sounds silly but I'm a barefoot kinda guy, and walking on a
nice rug, especially one that looks nice too, is something that just
makes you feel glad you paid the $$$.)

By contrast in a climate like ours (Easternmost Canada), such
previously wasted electric energy won't be available to heat the house
during the ten months or so of the year heating is needed here! Same
argument we use for not using CFLs! Heating needed in the evenings or
at night when light tend to be on anyway.

In fact yesterday it was so humid here that we turned on the bathroom
heat (actually six 40 watt incandescent light bulbs) above the
bathroom vanity mirror) in order to warm up the room to combat the
dampness. We do have a portable dehumidifier current on loan to a
relative to more quickly dry out a plaster repair job in his bathroom!

heh. I think we heat maybe 3 mos. out of the year if that.

House didn't have A/C when we moved in, it was OK for the first
summer, but days like today I'm glad we have it. Heard it was
supposed to get close to 100 degrees.

nate