Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default long reach hedge cutters

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Anyone any comments on the available long reach hedge cutters?
I currently have a fir hedge (fortunately not fast growing)
which is a very square cut 3m tall and 2m wide, which I cut
with a normal electric hedge trimmer whilst balancing on a
step ladder (quite a stretch to do the top). Was watching a
gardener with a long reach hedge trimmer doing someone's garden,
and thinking to myself, that's definately the way to go. I would
probably be after a mains electric one (installed outdoor sockets
for cutting the hedge ages ago).

I have a similar height section of hedge, and use a trimmer on the end
of a extension bar on the brush cutter. Doing the sides is easy enough -
you can walk along it and reach most of it. My hedge is quite thick -
about 5' probably. So I still need to use a step ladder for the top
which is less than satisfactory - but I need the hedge trimmers reach to
get the full depth. Using it like that is quite tiring since you are
supporting and swinging a significant length of tool horizontally.

--
Cheers,

John.