Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Recommended cheap tile adhesive for walls?

Andy Dingley wibbled:

On 8 Aug, 10:38, Tim S wrote:
What would be a cheap tile adhesive [be]

A bad idea?

Tiles are moderate-huge price, labour is high but the tile adhesive is
peanuts. False economy to go cheap here, as the cheap ones aren't
good. They have poor water resistance, they might not work so well
long term and (most importantly) they're unpleasant to work with.

Thanks Andy - I agree - I phrased the question badly. "Cheap" as in "cheaper
compared to the flexible stuff I'm using on the floors".

In
particular, avoid combined "stick & grout" products, as they do
neither well (and are horrid to work with).

Yes - I've used that as a quick patchup up to replace some loose tiles. It
sticks but its grouting abilities leave much to be desired.

If you want to save money,
buy dry powder and mix it yourself. Now that is a useful saving.

That's not a problem - I'm used to mixing my own adhesive.

As suggested, Bal works.

Cool "It works" from people who've used it is a good gauge.

I'd also advise care in choosing your grout. Go for the best you can,
this is the factor that makes a huge difference between a job that
looks good for a month and one that looks good for years. Especially
if anyone dyes their hair! I'd appreciate a good recommendation for
this myself, for something that's really waterproof and doesn't yellow
- I've been disappointed by the yellowing of epoxies before.

That much I've sorted - I'm using (for walls and floors) Mapei Keracolour
(there are various sub models like FF and others) - and adding Fugolastic
additive where flexibility is required on the floor.

A projected line laser and

Check - I have Stanley cross line jobbie. It's accurate to within the mm or
so that you can reckon the line to (it can be a thick line at a distance
but I've got good at working to the estimated middle). Already paid for
it's 90 quid ebay cost several times over in general usefulness.

a real rubber tiler's sponge are well worth
having.

I've got a rubber grout float.

By sponge, do you mean one of these:

http://tooltray.com/Grout-Floats-%26...out-Sponge.htm