Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX Eric in North TX is offline

Default Toilet Tank Leaking Around Bolt

On Aug 7, 11:21*am, Josh wrote:
Ever since I installed a Universal-Rundle tall commode 10 years ago,
I've had a recurring problem with a very small leak around the right
mounting bolt which securs the tank to the bowl. *I've had to
retighten the bolt at least every year. *The left one has never
leaked.

Last week I removed the toilet so I could put down new vinyl tile
flooring. *While it was out, I bought a new tank mounting kit at
Lowes....big donut center gasket, two new long bolts, two nuts and
four each rubber or fabric washer and flat metal washers. *I thought
for sure the new mounting hardware would fix the problem. *However,
after reinstalling the commode there's STILL a small leak around just
the right bolt. *Tried backing off the other bolt and retightening the
right one...no luck.

I drained, dried and carefully inspected the insides of the tank. *I
noticed there are 1/32 to 1/16" raised letters in the porcelain which
say MADE IN USA in the bottom. *Unfortunatele, part of the 'M' and the
'A' letters are so close to the right hole that the rubber washer has
to fit over them. *I'm thinking they create just enough of an
obstruction that the the washer will not seal in that area. *What I'd
like to know from you plumbing-savy types is the following:

1. *Can I file or sand the raised letters off the porcelain without
harming its waterproofing ability?

2. *If sanding porcelain could be problematic, I'm considering putting
a small amount of either plumber's putty, pipe joint compound (aka
pipe dope) or silicone caulk/adhesive between the rubber washer and
the letters to try to seal the small leak. *Which of those products
would hold up best under water without harming the washer?

100% silicone would seal it, clear would be the least noticeable. I
once sealed a big aquarium with the water and critters still inside.
It cracked as we watched one evening, right across the front. i got a
small tube of GE silicone seal and rubbed it into the crack fron the
outside and it stopped leaking. It was still holding water that way
for a well over a year, & would have indefinitely, but I bought a
bigger tank. I turned it around at the next cleaning so the crack
would face the wall, & used a background in front of it