Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R.Birch David R.Birch is offline

Default Proper use of a micrometer ?

Wes wrote:
"N_Cook" wrote:

Is the torque release clutch there to make sure it is impossible to strain
the mechanism by over tightening or is it to give results that are
repeatable if used by different people. ie below the torque release force is
the area where grime/gummy lubricant etc would give inconsistent results if
measurement was by feel of "first" touch.

It is never impossible, heck, they can drop it. It is an attempt to mechanically put
'feel' into the mic.

I haven't checked but if the user spins the mic closed on part being measured, I'm sure
they can get a different reading regardless of any ratchet or friction system. Inertia
you know.

Wes

My set of Starrett 1" to 6" 436 mikes have the ratchet because when I
bought them, the ratchetless model was out of stock. I wouldn't buy
the friction thimble design because I've seen too many of them with
frozen thimbles. I don't use the ratchet, and I wouldn't use the
thimble. I trust my feel to .0001" which has been good enough so far.

David