Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RCD tripping.

In article ,
Bob Minchin wrote:
Would a socket with a lower fault current limit sort this - and who
makes one? Not much point in having this one if the main one is going
to trip first. Although it does pre-date the split load CU.

Dave,

Don't automatically blame your local bench RCD. It is possible that
there is enough leakage in the rest of your installation to be near the
threshold of your split CU RCD and a few mA extra from your ATX PSU
tripped that whilst being well below the threshold of your local one.

Yes - although I don't get nuisance tripping from the main one. Oh - it
wasn't a few extra mA from the ATX - try an earth to neutral short via the
case due to a trapped cable. ;-(.

Maybe put a controlled leak (suitably rated variable resistor) on the
circuit before your bench and see how much current it will take before
the CU trips out?

Worth a try.

The main problem I find with RCDs and experimental bench is the effect
of mains filters in test equipment can cause nuisance tripping. I'd
rather work carefully via an isolating transformer.

I do have an isolated output. But wasn't using it in this case.

--
*Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.