Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default In ground water pipe?

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
dpb wrote:

Thinking about plumbing a water pipe from the entry source into the
house to my irrigation control station so as to eliminate water flow
noise emanating from my attic copper plumbing when the irrigation is
on. What piping material would be appropriate for direct in-ground
installation that could reliably handle constant water pressure like
the copper piping does in the house. Corrosion over the years to the
piping in contact with soil is also a consideration of mine. I just
guessing but would that eliminate copper from consideration? Would
galvanized pipe be the choice? I would like that piping to be safe to
drink out of also. Any suggestion would be appreciated. The search
for "water pipe" in this forum did not give anything specific to the
in-ground application I am considering. By the way, the soil in my
patch of California is mostly grey clay. Thanks in advance.

Virtually any service these days is plastic -- either rigid or flex,
doesn't really matter.

Copper not good for underground and too expensive, anyway. Galvanized
second choice but again is pretty expensive these days and will
eventually corrode (altho not likely in a time frame you'll care) but
the hands-down winner for ease and cost is plastic.

A few months back we had a slight leak right where the main supply pipe
come through the basement wall and into the meter. Called the plumber --
who had to call the municipality and get the water turned off at the
curb -- and found out that the pipe was plastic -- polyethylene? They
replaced about six feet of it with copper.

Perce

Same here. Neighbors line was leaking and they dug up the plastic line
and replaced it with copper. A few years ago the water company got so
tired of fixing leaks from plastic on some local streets that they
worked there way down those streets where all of the lines had been
replaced with plastic after a water main upgrade and replaced all of
them with copper.