David Micklem

Default Hinges and ideas for shutters

Hi all,

My sister has asked me to make up some (internal) shutters for a couple
of her windows. They are intended to cut down on dust (by getting rid
of the curtains - my niece is allergic) and also hopefully block some
noise from the road. I was hoping to tap your collective wisdom for
ideas/warnings over possible pitfalls.

Each shutter has to have three quite narrow hinged sections and I'm
looking for advice on where to get appropriate hinges (and what they
are called) and also on the best choice of material for the shutters.

I'd originally planned to try to make each section up to resemble a
panelled door but she would prefer a completely smooth appearance. So I
think the options for materials are either solid sheets of MDF or
plywood or to make up a frame of softwood and skin it with e.g.
hardboard. Any strong opinions or alternative ideas?
My feeling is that the solid sheets will be heavier and may thus be
better for sound insulation?

The hinges between the frame and the first section will need to be
Parliament hinges so that the shutters will clear the trim around the
window. (Ideally the hinges between the second and third sections will
also be Parliament hinges so that when folded the third section can sit
between the first and second sections_.

Maybe I can manage some ascii art to try to make what I mean clearer...

Shutters closed:
(Shutter panel 1 = ***
Shutter panel 2 = @@@
Shutter panel 3 = ###)

|======================window================
wall |
____________________ |||***************||@@@@@@@@@@@@@ ###########
\_||| || ~~o~~
|| ~~ 3
~~ 2
1
Parl. Parl. Normal
Hinge Hinge Hinge

Shutters open:

|======================window================
wall |
____________________ ||
\_||
|@@@@@@@@@@@@@ |
| 3 =o ~1
2 ~ ########### |
| |
|****************|

I am a bit worried that the parliament hinges would need to be fastened
into the edges of the shutters. I suspect that MDF is not strong enough
for this to be a good idea. Would plywood be any better? Alternatively
is it possible to buy parliament hinges with a built in right angle on
one or both leaves so that they could be screwed to the face of the
shutters rather than the edge. Does anyone know what such hinges would
be called/where to get them?

Any design suggestions/improvements would be very welcome!

Thanks for your help,

David

--
Reply_to may be munged if my newsreader behaves. I read
mail sent to microlaserpro at lycos dot com.