Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default for those of you who say land lines are reliable

N8N wrote in
:

On Aug 5, 2:30*pm, dpb wrote:
N8N wrote:

...Verizon ...
... Why *don't* more people just cancel their land
lines? *(I know why my parents don't, they live too far out in the
country to get cable. *Otherwise...)

Because the land line _IS_ more reliable.

It never ****ing works! She called me on her cell phone to tell me
her land line wasn't working again. Now explain to me how the land
line is more reliable.

Explain? OK.

99.95% of the time when I use my land line it works fine & clear.
99.95% of the time when I call someone on a land line it's fine & clear.
99.95% of the time when I use a land line it doesn't disconnect.
99.95% of the time when I call a land line they don't disconnect.
99.95% of the time when I call a cell phone it sucks.
Excuse me? What did you say? Are you still there. What was that? Huh?
99.95% of the time when a cell phone calls me I'm always saying
Excuse me? What did you say? Are you still there. What was that? Huh?

100% of the time a cell phone costs 4x that of a land line.
100% of the time land line local calls are not clocked.
100% of the time I don't need power company service to use the landline.
100% of the time I can call 911 on the cell I keep in the car that
has no service. That is if the ****ing thing gets a signal.

Explained.

*Does she have backup
generator to keep the cell charged during power outages, for example?

yes.

I'd never consider eliminating the land line in a rural area,
meself...

the only reason they still have it is that satellite would be their
only other way of 'net connectivity.

nate