Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Polyp Polyp is offline

Default Self centering scriber for metal marking bars

"CarlBoyd" wrote in message
spaco wrote:
Here's a link to a neat little tool you can make. You just lay in on top
of a bar, let's say 3/4" square, and draw it along the surface, holding
the legs firmly against the sides of the stock. Even works on tapered
stock. I saw it at a blacksmith conference several years ago and I give
credit to the guy who showed it to us, Tal Harris.

Go to: www.spaco.org/bk.htm and click on the link "A Self Centering
Scriber for stock up to about 2" wide".

If you make one, and the scriber isn't centered perfectly, just reverse
it and scribe again. The center will be half way between the two lines
you make.

Pete Stanaitis

Nice design. I have seen similar, but with just pins to ride the outside
of the bar being marked. This did not allow you to mark to the ends of
the bar. The arms on this one get around that problem. I think I know
what I am going to do Saturday morning.

CarlBoyd

Yeah, me too - I've got a handful of small cap head shoulder screws lying
around, might use them instead of pins.
thanks Pete.