Posted to alt.home.repair
PatM PatM is offline

Default for those of you who say land lines are reliable

On Aug 5, 7:30*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Aug 5, 4:19*pm, N8N wrote:

On Aug 5, 2:30*pm, dpb wrote:

N8N wrote:

...Verizon ...
... Why *don't* more people just cancel their land
lines? *(I know why my parents don't, they live too far out in the
country to get cable. *Otherwise...)

Because the land line _IS_ more reliable.

It never ****ing works! *She called me on her cell phone to tell me
her land line wasn't working again. *Now explain to me how the land
line is more reliable.

*Does she have backup
generator to keep the cell charged during power outages, for example?

yes.

I'd never consider eliminating the land line in a rural area, meself....

the only reason they still have it is that satellite would be their
only other way of 'net connectivity.

nate

Sounds like you live out in the boonies. Verizon doesnt own the lines
you are on but probably leases them from some mom and pop phone
company that is 30 years behind everyone else.

Jimmie

I sort of live in the boonies, about 200 yards off of the Rez, and we
had Verizon. You couldn't even call what they have "Customer
Service". It was horrid. The caused a DSL problem that took 2 weeks
to diagnose. At one point the tech was on my computer doing a ping
test and it came back that my modem was off. He called "the engineer"
who said to turn the modem on, duh. The techies said "but I just ran
the test using the modem". Once they realized it was a problem, they
said the ONLY solution was to discontinue my non-existent DSL (5 to 10
business days) and then re-order it (5 to 10 business days). That was
about lunchtime. But dinner time I had my cable modem up and running
and it hasn't been down since.

I have Vonage for my phone and faxage for my fax. During blackouts,
all cell towers around here have generators so that isn't a problem.
Good riddance to Verizon.