Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman badgolferman is offline

Default vinyl window construction

ransley, 8/5/2009,7:06:19 PM, wrote:

On Aug 5, 7:29*am, "badgolferman"
wrote:
I am about to pull the trigger on replacement windows and have a
question regarding the construction of vinyl windows. *Three
different brands of windows have been quoted to me and I want to
know if anyone has any experience or opinions on which models are
better construction.

Silverline/Andersen 8500 Series LowE/Argon/Foam Filled

0.30http://silverlinewindows.com/productDetail.cfm?MID=8500&cat=RP&type=d...

B.F. Rich Horizon LowE/Argon 0.30http://www.bfrich.com/horizon.html

Alside Excalibur LowE/Argon
0.30http://www.alside.com/index.aspx?page=79

They all meet the new standard for the Federal Credit. *The
Silverline has a foam-filled frame for rigidity. *The Alside I was
shown had metal bars inside the frame although the website doesn't
show that. *The B.F. Rich doesn't seem to have either.

The Alside is Window World's model and they were the most expensive
quote. *The other two are local contractors that have been in
business for quite a while. *All windows seem to have similar
warranties.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the benefits of the foam-filled
frames vs. the other two?

Andersons glass finishing is a unique process in which the glass is
coated at the molecular level in a 20 million dollar machine, its
better than my Pella LowE argon in clarity, it has better CDF rating
than pella, Anderson honors its warranty I have found.I dont know the
other brands but CR has done major comparisons in the past. The
anderson rep told me about 95% of warrantys are not honored because of
hack installs. Metal transmits more. Are all the other specs equal,
air infiltration, CDF,VLT, SHG. Anderson has always been top line.
You need to verify plumb, level and square before you pay or you can
have no warranty.

According to the salesman Andersen makes the frames and they get the
two-pane glass inserts from a different manufacturer and insert into
the frame.

The quote with the Silverline/Andersen windows was for 12 double-hung
and 1 picture window with wrapping. Total $4040. This is why I do not
believe these are top-line windows.