Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy Randy is offline

Default Sodium Silicate - engine killer...

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 18:48:46 -0400, Stuart Wheaton
wrote:

(soon to be overheard at the local garage)
We could fix your car with an $800 junkyard engine if we could get
one, but I'm sorry they were all destroyed in the cash for clunkers
program, for $50 we can tow your car to the Kia dealer up the street.

From what I've heard they must also destroy the transmission too.
Maybe even the rear diff if a RWD car. No part of the drivetrain can
be resold.

FALSE! The transmission, drive shaft and rear-end can be sold as
separate parts.

The story I read said the driveline had to be destroyed. That would
include the trans and rear. However, the assholes in DC did a double
speak in the wording. quoted below from your link.

"This facility will not sell or transfer the trade-in vehicle’s engine
block and drive train (unless with respect to the drive train, the
transmission, drive shaft, or rear end are sold as separate parts) at
any time prior to its crushing or shredding."

First it names the whole driveline, then exempts the trans, drive
shaft and rear. WTF?

Also note it specifically states the engine block, you could legally
resell the heads, crankshaft and pistons and other parts.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.