Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall Adrian Brentnall is offline

Default floorboard sanding

RobertL wrote:
On Aug 5, 11:56 am, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Robert

RobertL wrote:
in our current house we paid £400 to have about 35 sq m of floor
sanded and varnished. We now want to do our new (Victorian) house
which has about 120 square metres. We are considering doing it
ourselves.
You seem to be able to hire a sander for about £30 a day.
Are there any hidden pitfalls to doing this ourselves?

It is very, very messy !

A couple of houses ago we sanded the hallway and the front room
- both had rather nice original oak parquet flooring..

It was hard as nails g - and we got through lots of the sanding sheets
- and filled the place with sawdust!

It's quite a fiddle to get a decent finish around the edges (there's
another rotary sanding tool for doing this with)

You'll need to drive the nails below the final surface fo the
floorboards, otherwise they'll rip the sanding sheets to pieces.

I think if I was to do it again I wouldn't g - might be simpler if
you're only sanding pine floorboards - but it'll still be messy!

Good luck!
Adrian

Were you using belt sander ?

Yes! - for the big areas, and the disk-sander-on-wheels for round the
edges...

Messy !

Adrian