Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Converting a ATX PS to 13.8v

In article ,
wrote:
Can anyone give a link to a site which covers modifying an ATX PS 12
volt rail to 13.8v in reasonably simple terms? I Googled for a couple
of hours last night and found answers from the bizarre to ridiculous.
The +12v output is rated at 20 amps and I only need 8 max.

Without trying to be negative about the project, ATX power supplies
are 'jelly bean' items. The only common points between different
brands and models are the case dimensions, the pinouts of the output
leads, and the AC in connector.

I've certainly found that out. ;-)

You are going to have to continue what you have started. Analyse the
circuit, locate the voltage regulator and over-voltage protection and
adjust the output voltage by changing the appropriate resistors.

I'm not going to waste much time on it - given the cost of new units that
do what I want.

Depending on the availability of a suitable power supply, your
electronics skills, and time available, you might be better off taking
a simpler approach. This supply would be much easier to work on.
http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=17095+PS

But with respect that's 12 volts. I want 13.8. Plenty on Ebay for not a
lot, if I decide to spend some cash.

--
*The most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.