Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy Christopher Tidy is offline

Default Hot motor

Michael Koblic wrote:
Michael Koblic wrote:

My Taig is powered by a 110V 1Ph 1750 rpm 1/4 HP induction motor or
garage sale provenance. My concern is that with use it gets too hot
to touch.

etc.etc.

Thank you all for helpful responses.

The insulation class is B so the temperatures seem well within acceptable
limits.
I could find no evidence of a capacitor so shaded pole is the most likely
explanation.

Thinking about this a little more, I doubt it's a shaded pole motor.
I've never seen a shaded pole motor as big as 1/4 hp (if anyone has, do
let me know). Usually the biggest is about 1/16 hp. Above that the power
losses get significant.

It's probably a split-phase motor. These have two windings: the main
winding, which has a high inductance and a low resistance, and the start
winding, which has a low inductance and a high resistance. As a result,
the two magnetic fields produced are out of phase, which is the
condition required for starting. There will be a switch somewhere to
control the start winding. Either a centrifugal switch, a relay or a
special momentary switch (the second two are fairly rare). Split-phase
motors do not require a capacitor, but their starting performance is
poorer than that of capacitor-start motors.

Best wishes,

Chris