Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Parallel Jaw Clamps

dpb wrote:
Tom Veatch wrote:
After battling with a panel glue-up for way too long this afternoon,
I've decided to mortgage my firstborn and get some parallel jaw
clamps. There's several different brands, and I'm asking you guys what
kind you have, and what you wish might be a little different about
them.

They're all so over-priced imo I've never bought anything except pipe
clamps for heavy work and the lite-weight bar clamps for anything else
that doesn't need either the reach or the length...

If I were ever in a real production environment, perhaps; but I'm
thinking I'd still just fabricate a somewhat better version of the t-bar
version rather than spend what appears to me to be obscene amounts for
commercial clamps...

I'm with you. I have a bunch of pipe clamps that work just fine, and
have worked just fine for millions of cabinet makers for many years.
The high priced spread would be nicer, but not worth it if money is tight.

I also made a set of my own panel clamps that work very well. Two 2x4's
with 1" holes drilled about every 8-10". You put 1" dowels on each end
with the panel in the middle. The dowel goes through one 2x4, then
though a rectangular hunk of wood with an offset hole in it, then
through the other 2x4. Then, you use 2 opposing wedges to tighten the
panel up. Works great and is cheap as all get out. Heres a pictu

http://jbstein.com/Flick/clamps.jpg

I'd rather have Bessy's of course, but I have a million other tools I
really need more than want.

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/