Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default amps to hp

In article , Stormin Mormon wrote:
one HP is 748 watts, if that's any use. I suspect the
engineers and brainiacs out there have answered any possible
slant on the question.

One horsepower appears to me to be 748 watts divided by efficiency of
the electric motor. At this moment, I like to say 900 watts for an
electric motor to deliver "1 horsepower".

Please keep in mind that AC electric motors, especially single-phase
(not requiring 3-phase power), and smaller than a horsepower or two,

appear to me to be likely to have efficiency at best in the 80's %,

and their power factor appears to me to be typically close to .8
or so, maybe .86 or so in some cases.

- Don Klipstein )