Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default amps to hp

In article , bud-- wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Aaron Fude

wrote:
When translating amps to hp for a 120V appliance, is the formula essentially

120*amps/745.699872

That would give a 15amp ryobi table saw a rating of 2.41hp which is
ridiculously high, no? Is my formula not right, or is 2.41hp not
ridiculous or is there something else I'm missing?

You're missing two things:
1) The amperage rating on any electric motor represents the locked-rotor
current, i.e. the current it draws when the rotor is unable to move. This is
*much* higher than the current the motor draws when it's in operation, and is

in no way representative of the motor's actual power output.

Nope. The nameplate will have the running amps at rated HP. Overload
protection of may motors is based on the nameplate current rating.
(Many motors also have a "service factor" greater than one which means
the motor can be operated at higher current (and HP) at a little shorter
life.)

You really think that Aaron's Ryobi table saw pulls 15A while running??